Until last fall I (and many other people) had never heard of Jayde Quilty, but after her phenomonal performance at the 2012 Taranis Winter Challenge it was clear that she was a force to be reckoned with and an athlete to watch. Sure enough when the 2013 Canada West Regionals rolled around Jayde proved to one of the top individual female athletes with a 6th place finish at her first ever Regional Competition.
1. Who inspires you the most (they could be a coach or a cross fitter someone with a really good work ethic)
I find myself inspired by people who make me want to better myself and who make me feel like anything is possible. Jesse Bifano is someone who continuously reminds me that true hard work, dedication (a few smart choices along the way) and raw determination will achieve goals. So much dedication, time, and positive energy is put into his work, his life, and his athletes…nothing short of awesome is acceptable. As my coach I find he keeps me focused, inspired to work my absolute hardest, and tends to throw in a life lesson here and there! From an athlete perspective I also find the women extremely inspiring that compete at the Games level that have no prior professional/higher level athletic sport background. It gives me a lot of motivation and reminds me that people can compete and achieve that level without having had prior experience with another high level sport.
2. If you could choose 1 workout to come up in competition what would it be? (a workout you'd destroy)
Short or long….a grindy one with minimal gymnastics. I would be ecstatic if hurdles showed up one day!
3. Whats your Goat? (Or at least a skill you don’t like)
Having no gymnastic background I find the gymnastic side of things the most challenging. I battle with anything involving a Handstand and Muscle Ups are a close 2nd! However I am working away at these and will continue with my plan to conquer them!
4. What, so far, is your favourite ******** moment? (highlight, best workout, or I dunno qualifying for regionals etc)
Getting my first Muscle Up about 10 months ago, I screamed ridiculously loud, completing my 1st individual competition which was the 2012 Taranis Winter Challenge, and finishing 1st in the Deadlift Box Jump Wod at Canada West Regionals for sure!
5. Do you have an embarrassing thing you’ve done/had happen to you in training that you’re willing to share?
Nothing crazy but about a year ago I was coaching telling the class they would be doing a Double Under "Flight Simulator" and I managed to say "Flight Stimulator!" Haha this one stuck for awhile. You can imagine the comments that followed. Oops.
6. Do you have any random skills, or things you do that most people might not know about you? (or interests)
I guess most people wouldn't know that I really do like country music, and that I grew up on a farm! I come with lots of funny animal stories!
7. Words to Live/Train By?
"Stay Strong" and "Better Than Yesterday." These are very simple quotes and really speak to me in regards to training and life.
8. Do you eat paleo? and whats your favourite "cheat food"
I am definitely an example of living the Paleo life style 80% of the time. I love ice-cream!
9 Did you (or do you still) have a favourite teddy bear or stuffed animal growing up? If so what was it?
I have a "white" teddy bear my Grandma gave me when I was 2yrs old. His name is Timmy! I only put him away last year lol. This makes me want to bring him back out!
10. If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting ******** what would it be?
Don't be afraid to push yourself and know you are capable of more than you think! In time do a competition, you will surprise yourself with what you can achieve!
11. Growing up did you have a celebrity/movie character crush?
I was "mildly" obsessed with the Backstreet Boys and JTT….yes I was one of those girls haha!
12. A part from being a badass girl who can move some seriously heavy weights. Would you say you're more of a girly girl or a tomboy?
I hate to admit it but I'd have to say I am more of a girly girl. Not in excess but enough that I do care what my hair looks like at most times and certain bugs make me squeal!
13. What's one item from your bucket list, or If you don't have one...something you really want to do?
I really would love to go to Kenya….and possibly other countries in Africa. I really love elephants!
So there you have it, 13 things (you may or may not have already known) about Jayde Quilty, not only a serious competitor but a seriously awesome person too. We wish her the best of luck in training and can't wait to see her continue to kick ass at competitions in the upcoming year.